Childhood friends Tim Lee and Michael Graham started thinking about how to re-imagine everyday items in ways that emphasized innovation and environmental consciousness. They started with the hanger with the intent of the project being an internal test, but the results amazed them. They knew they had created a household solution that couldn’t be kept a secret.
- The Mozu Hanger will launch on Kickstarter in Summer 2020. Delivery is expected in late Fall 2020.
- The Mozu Hangers will be available in wheat straw and bamboo materials, which are both sustainable and eco-friendly.
- The Mozu Hanger team is composed of two childhood friends originally from the suburbs of NYC. One is a designer and a US Army vet, the other is an engineer and an Air Force spouse, and both are passionate about creating innovative and sustainable products.
- The Mozu Hanger team is based in Central New Jersey and Northern California.
- The Mozu Hanger is the first of many products to be developed by the team under their company, Ensu Design, LLC.
- The Mozu Hanger is a beautiful, slim, Earth-friendly hanger with an innovative notch that revolutionizes the way we hang our clothes.
- The integrated notch feature in the Mozu Hanger can eliminate the stretching of collars and allows you to hang and remove shirts with even the top buttons buttoned for most shirts.
- The gradual curvature of the Mozu Hanger was meticulously designed to eliminate the hideous shoulder deformities that we like to call “pokies.”
- The Mozu Hanger can be used on both children’s clothes and adult clothes, even 6-month-old clothes!
- The Mozu Hanger design is so unique and innovative that it was awarded a US Patent.
In 2016, childhood friends Tim Lee and Michael Graham embarked on a mission to start their very own design company centered on innovation and environmental consciousness. Their first self-initiated challenge was to redesign the conventional clothing hanger. What originally began as an internal test project had quickly developed into a viable, marketable, and innovative household solution.
The problem statement was simple: plastic hangers are primarily made from petroleum, and they typically end up in landfills. Therefore, the first objective was to make the clothing hanger sustainable. Through extensive research, bamboo and wheat straw were determined to be extremely promising materials. Bamboo is one of the most sustainable materials on the planet, and wheat straw is a strong and economical bioplastic that is biodegradable in 3-5 years, making both materials ideal for an eco-friendly hanger.
The second objective was to identify a problem with conventional clothing hangers and solve it. The problem they chose was the stretching of tight-necked shirts and collars. By incorporating a notch into the body of the hanger, shirts could be slid past the centerpoint and removed with ease. This simple but highly effective solution eliminates the stretching of collars and allows for the hanging and removal of most buttoned shirts, even with top buttons buttoned. The design of the notch is so effective that it works on baby clothes as well.
Through refinement, prototypes, and evaluations, their design became what is now known as the Mozu Hanger, a beautifully designed, slim, eco-friendly hanger that revolutionizes the way you hang your clothes. “Mozu” (pronounced moh-zoo) is a modification of the word “Moso,” which is the species of bamboo most commonly used for manufacturing. Tim and Michael are excited to introduce the patented Mozu Hanger, and they hope that everyone will appreciate its beauty, functionality, and sustainability as much as they do!